Saturday, December 7, 2013

My Grandpa


My Grandpa

By: Austin Baker
 

New Jersey, the place of great memories and spectacular views

And also where my Grandpa resides.

My Grandpa, New Jersey’s greatest

And also New Jersey’s favorite.

The gleaming sunshine arises promptly every morning

Just as my Grandpa’s smile enlightens me when I awake.

The day starts with breakfast and SportsCenter

And my Grandpa reading his daily newspaper.

Throw a bathing suit on and load up like a polar bear with sunscreen

And my Grandpa packs the lunches and grabs the boards.

Run to the car like I’m robbing a bank

Jump in, sit back, and wait for Gramps.

The smell of the car is salty, different, but great

And my Grandpa puts on his shades and drives away towards the bay.

Driving through the town, is like driving to your neighbor’s house

And My Grandpa always says, “Looks like a great day to ride the waves.”

Passing over the blue, extraordinary bridge, gazing at all of the boats gliding across the water

And my Grandpa says the water looks as crisp and calm as he has ever seen before.

Searching for a parking spot is like searching for treasure, hard to find, but not impossible

And my Grandpa is a GPS, locating every good spot.

We jump out of the car, head to the trunk, and grab the gear

And My Grandpa closes the trunk and we head for the sea.

Walking a straight line towards the beach, like a person walking away on a railroad track

And my Grandpa and I walk up the six stairs before we cross onto the other side.

We walk on top of the scorching sand, feeling like lava unless you have your flops

And my Grandpa sets the items down and I pull my shirt off.

I race down to the shore, the wind blowing my hair back and the taste of salt reaching my mouth

And my Grandpa is not too far behind me.

I throw my body into the sea that is enormous and everlasting

And my Grandpa stands by the shore, looking into the distance as if he is in a movie.

Waves crashing down on me, drowning me underwater,

And the jittery energy that is flowing through my body.

Hours fly by, and the sun sets, only feeling if I were there for a few minutes

And I wash off at the stairs and we pack up.

Walking back to the car, feeling like I just ran a marathon; I cannot feel any part of my body.

And we reach the car and I slowly climb in, I exhale and look back on the day.

Driving back, beautiful sunset, boats coming in from their trips and the tide going out

And my Grandpa says, “Looks like it was a good day.”

This is day one with my grandpa, and it only gets better.

My Grandpa and I do a lot together, we accomplish a lot together.

If every day could be as good as this.
 
 
 
For more information:
Twitter: @ABakerPresident
Email: DreamsDriveDetermination@gmail.com
 
 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment